Friday, October 14, 2011

China: Gut für Berlin

I wish I had more to say about Selig, but I left feeling sort of uninspired. Selig features the cuisine of northwestern China and specializes in hand-pulled noodles (there is a live pulling demonstration on Saturday nights). I read This review a while back and it stuck with me, so that I was determined to ignore the recently added disclaimer that it might not be so good after all. It's my fault I guess.

The noodles themselves were very good, with a nice spongy bite, but the two noodle dishes that we shared were just alright. I left thinking: I could have made those dishes. Wasn't the stir-fry I made last week better?

The so-called Peking duck with someone's special sauce wasn't awful, although it was definitely not Peking duck, but rather a deep-fried duck breast (is deep-frying really necessary?). While it was nice to have a milder dish to balance out the spicier beef and vegetables we had also ordered, after several bites, I was left craving some kind of flavor direction. The beef and vegetables had a nice punch to it and the vegetables retained some crunch. It was by far the better dish, if it was a little over-sauced.

The big question is, would I go back to Selig? My dining companion said it was the best Chinese food she's had in Berlin, and it definitely is better than the average place (keeping in mind that this city is full of Imbisse with mountains of nasty, greasy noodles to be for just a few Euros). I probably wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again, but if I were in the area and craving a big bowl of noodles, I very well might. I was intrigued by the noodles with lamb and I didn't get to try the dumplings. It is undoubtedly better than most of the Chinese food on offer in Berlin, but, alas, nothing to get too worked up about.

Selig
Kantstrasse 51

No comments:

Post a Comment